Medical/Mental Health

Discussion Forums Middle East Airlines Emirates Medical/Mental Health

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Moderator Mateusz Maszczynski 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cabinhopeful
    Nat
    Participant

Do Emirates always contact your GP for further medical information? I’ve read that Emirates do not abide by UK employment law and discriminate on grounds of mental health, even if it is historical and not current. I’m not sure if this goes for all airlines? If this is true, is there any way to get around it? I know there isn’t, I’m really just looking for more information on this topic if anyone has it? I’m really disappointed that this will stop me from being able to apply anywhere..

I’m sorry if something similar has been posted elsewhere, I haven’t posted here before.

Thanks!

Hello Nat,

As Emirates is based in the UAE, they are entitled to reject candidates based on mental health conditions – although, in many cases we know this is completely out of touch with the latest recommendations from European, North American and Australian civil aviation authorities.

You’ll be expected to complete a questionnaire and get some checks completed by a medical doctor.  Emirates asks specific questions about a candidates mental health – but it is up to you to answer the question openly and honestly.  There is little way for Emirates to cross check your answers but be aware that if caught the airline would terminate your employment and expect a large payment for any costs incurred for your training, etc.

You should also keep in mind that access to mental health services is more limited in the UAE than where you are from and there is the potential for issues in the future.

The very best of luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.